Interior Design Questions You Need to Answer Before Space Planning Your Apartment
A set of interior decorating ideas isn’t enough to create a functional interior that will satisfy all your requirements. You should also answer specific interior design questions to have a clear understanding of the look of your apartment.
At the beginning of the interior design process, most people wouldn’t refuse from design advice. The right interior design questions can simplify space planning and help to avoid design problems. Only specialists know how to properly solve your design dilemma and what functions are the most important in every room. With thousands of interiors created, they are well-aware of common interior design process pitfalls. The truth is that although people know what a certain room will serve for, they constantly repeat the same mistakes. In fact, a set of interior decorating ideas isn’t enough to create a functional interior that will satisfy all your requirements. You should also answer specific interior design questions to have a clear understanding of the look of your apartment.
For instance, you have to take into account the number of people that will use the room, their age, habits, and preferences. Imagine how they will behave in an apartment and what additional needs may appear in the future. So here is the first interior design question: Do you really need professional advice for space planning your apartment? – In most cases, yes. It will save you time and effort. Besides, it will serve as a solid basis to realize your interior decorating ideas. Nevertheless, we have compiled a list of the most popular interior design questions to guide you. In case you decide to plan the apartment on your own, they will help you deal with the most common space planning issues.
Want to learn more about commercial space planning? Read this article.
Interior Design Questions About the Most Common Types of Rooms
If you don’t have a chance to ask a designer for interior advice, ask yourself. Try to formulate your expectations and needs before space planning. These sets of interior design questions are extremely helpful to imagine your future interior design. They focus on the primary functions and specifications of every room. You should also think of some other interior details that may be important in your case, including sockets, furniture location, light fixtures, and others.
Universal interior design questions
• How many people will live in an apartment?
• How old are they?
• What habits and needs do these people have?
• Where will you take your outerwear off?
• Where will you store seasonal clothes and the clothes you wear now?
• Where will you store shoes?
• Where will you place a full-length mirror?
• Will you regularly cook in the kitchen?
• Are you going you eat in the kitchen (Do you need a dining table)?
• Will you have built-in or standard home appliances?
• What are the primary and secondary functions of the room (relaxation/accepting guests/sleeping area)?
• Do you need a large dining table? For how many people?
• Do you need a place for storing dishes and other tableware?
• Will you have one large sofa or a small sofa with several chairs?
• Where will you relax (near a fireplace/TV)?
• What will be the size of a bed?
• Do you need a dressing table?
• Do you need bedside tables/cabinets?
• Do you need light fixtures near the bed (Do you read)?
• Will you have a wardrobe? What size?
• Do you need a bookshelf?
• How many kids will live there?
• What is their gender?
• How old are the kids?
• What are the primary and secondary functions of the room (sleep/playing/studying/ hobbies)?
• What bathroom appliances do you need (toilet/bidet/urinal/bath/shower booth)?
• Who will use the bath (e.g., you can use a sitting bathtub for elderly)?
• What appliances do you need (washing machine/dryer)?
Of course, this isn’t an exhaustive list of interior design questions. Every design dilemma is worth your attention and may require careful planning. It’s not always easy to take everything into account if you have never planned an interior before. You will also need to choose colors, materials, and textures. Regardless of all these challenges, the interior design process is very exciting and engaging. Don’t wait to start it!
In case you need any space planning or interior design help, contact us.